Thursday, April 29, 2010

Xterra West Championships

If I had to describe the Xterra West Championships in two words it would be hot and painful. I knew very well that my fitness is lacking, it is April afterall, and snowing as I write this. I got beat up at the start of the swim, goggles knocked off and a few mouthfuls of toxic water but after things settled down I was able to get in a groove and came out in 5th place. I know my legs are still waking from hibernation and considering this I was doing fine on the bike, only being passed by the speedy legs of Shonny and Renata. And then came my big spill. There was a slippery pipe we had to get over and I had no issues with this when I prerode the course but at race speed this proved disastrous for me. My rear wheel slid out and I went down hard. I caught my fall with my right hand and instantly knew something was wrong when I could barely grab the bars, shift or brake. Wherever it was possible I rode with one hand and was determined to finish...yes that is the crazy competitive athlete in me. I shed some tears while riding and let out a few screams of pain at times. My real freak out came when I took my gloves off as I was coming into transition and saw how swollen my wrist was. On the run I realized it was unlikely that I would catch anyone and I could not see anyone close behind so I put it on cruise and finished in 8th place. I immediately went to the med tent and of course started crying because the season just is getting going and I have never had a big injury.
Thanks to everyone who helped me out...Paul for lugging my bags and bike around, Mel for making my bed, Becky for giving me some wine "to make the pain go away" less than 30 minutes after I finished and for tying my suit so I could lounge by the pool, and Will for driving fast back to Boulder. Also, huge thanks to Doug who has stepped it up around the house to help me...he even cleaned the toilets!
Despite losing the ability to use my right hand (yes, I am right handed) I'm glad I went to Vegas since I had the chance to meet all my wonderful Melrad teammates, Shawn from Avia and Dan from Nathan. It was also great to see fellow racers and soak up some sun. Now, hopefully I can figure out how to keep training through this. On Tuesday the doctor could not tell for sure by looking at Xrays if the hook of hamate and pisiform bones are broken or not and wanted me to get a CT scan. These bones are apparently very difficult to see in Xrays. Hopefully, by next week I will have a more definitive answer and treatment plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment