Thursday, April 8, 2010

Moab Smiles


This picture about sums up our rides in Moab! Other than being caught in a blizzard riding on Thursday the weather was great and we got in some long, fun rides. The wind decided to kick up every night making for some less than ideal camping and sleeping conditions. I was convinced on two nights that the tent was going to blow away with both of us in it, luckily the trusty Marmot held up through it all. The best day by far was riding my favorite trail Porcupine Rim. We ran into Tom and Bobby from Boulder on the trail and rode with them. Thanks for letting me steal some of your pictures Tom and for making me realize that Doug is indeed a freak because he rides stuff that most people (including other males) think is insane. I was able to climb surprisingly well considering that I haven't spent much time focusing on climbing. Then there is the decent...so fun! On the long decent I just get into a rhythm and have some speed that carries me over ledges and through sections that would have made my cry three years ago when I started mountain biking. Doug often would look back and say, "did you ride that"? I think he was quite proud when I continued to say "yeah" and had a grin on my face the whole time.



The Jeep Safari was going on while we were there, which wasn't much of an issue on the trail since they go about 5 mph. Most of the Jeepers were super nice. I was offered hot chocolate or whiskey when were riding in the blizzard. Not sure why I didn't take either, surely it would have returned some feeling to my hands. The stuff the Jeeps do is quite impressive and fun to watch! The Audi tried to get in on the fun when Doug had to rally it over some rough sections to get us in and out of the campsite. Not quite as impressive as the Jeeps but pretty good for the low rider. Until next time Moab!

I can't believe in two weeks I will be heading to Vegas for my first Xterra of the year. I tend to be a late season performer but I'm excited to see how I stack up this early on and to see what I need to focus on in the next few months.

1 comment: