Thursday, May 5, 2011

Trips for Kids


Working with adolescents with substance abuse issues is challenging to say the least. I see kids faced with intergenerational substance abuse, serious traumatic histories and less than appropriate family dynamics. Research shows that increasing protective factors for kids increases their potential to maintain positive changes. My hope is that my kids can connect with something positive and I have a strong desire to introduce them to sports and outdoor recreation, both of which can be protective factors. Most are not exposed to these activities and those that are lose their connection when drugs take over their lives. I have kids as young as 15 who use cocaine 3-4 times per day. How on earth do you help someone so young change these behaviors? There are some days I feel hopeless and discouraged. This week is different. I have connected with an amazing organization, Trips for Kids, and will be taking some of my kids on a mountain bike adventure on the local Boulder trails this Saturday. The number of kids attending has dwindled due to needing inpatient care, being in detention and being on the run. However, if only one kid has a positive experience and connects or re-connects to mountain biking and the outdoors it will all be worth it!

I hope to do future work with Trips for Kids. Check them out and if you can find time in your life to share your love of sports with others, please do! You can change a life simply by sharing your passion with someone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment