Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Gowdy Grinder Fitness Test

Sunday Doug and I headed up to Curt Gowdy State Park just outside Cheyenne, Wyoming for the Gowdy Grinder Mountain bike race. Was I excited to drive 2 hours for a 13.2 mile race? Not really. Was I excited about a $10 entry fee? Absolutely! Was I disappointed by the race? No way! Curt Gowdy is a hidden gem of Wyoming with some spectacular and very technical trails. It was well worth the drive and I think we'll head back to check out more of the park sometime.

A 13.2 mile race sounds like nothing but turns out it took me 1:37 minutes to complete this distance. I was unsure of my fitness since I really just started getting back at legitimate training in the last few weeks. I was either well rested or more fit than I thought (those serious elliptical workouts may have been worth something in the long run) as I took the win for the Women. I'm going to go with I'm more fit than I thought I was option. The race started with a short section of double track before funneling into some of the most amazing single track I have ridden. There were super smooth buff sections of trail intermingled with tight turns, drops, rocky sections and where the heck does this trail go sections. I managed to get to the single track first and extended my lead throughout the race. This race was just what I needed to boost my confidence and help me realize that I will have a good season despite a slow start and early season injury.


Website with more pictures to get an idea of just how great the trails are:


No comments:

Post a Comment