Thursday, October 1, 2009

Xterra Nationals

Last weekend I had a successful day at Xterra Nationals held in beautiful Snowbasin, Utah. The hills were covered with hues of red and yellow and the weather was sunny and warm. This course is all about climbing...my favorite! The swim starts in Pineview Reservoir down in the valley. The bike climbs and climbs all the way to Snowbasin ski area, then in case you didn't get enough it climbs some more up the ski area before coming back to the base of the area. The run is a big climb, up to some 'flattish' rocky single track and then back down to the base of the area.

Right before the mayhem began

I came out of the swim in 5th(?) about 30 seconds behind eventual winner Mel. I had a great bike (11 minutes faster than last year on a slightly longer course) and came to T2 in 3rd behind Mel and Shonny. The second I got off my bike I knew I was in trouble. I had sharp pains in both quads, think a knife being stabbed into your leg. The cramps stayed in my legs the entire run and eventually my stomach cramped too. I resorted to walking a little and even had the thought of getting a ride on a moto back to the finish but I was as tough as I could be and held on for 6th place (2nd American). I was bummed that my body failed me although it was probably my own fault for not drinking enough on the bike...Doug scolded me about this as he usually does. However, I could not be happier with how close I am to the podium even on a 'bad day'! This race served to boost my confidence and get me excited about Worlds and beyond. Top five women were Mel McQuaid, ShonnyV., Lesley Patterson, Carina Wasle, Jenny Smith. So glad to be done, not sure what's with the Elvis lip

Post race we celebrated with an awesome dinner, drinks, ice cream and lots of laughter! The trip was made even more special and fun because of my travel buddies and support men. Thanks Doug and Paul for helping us on race day...it meant the world to me to have such dedicated support! I might have passed out without getting another bottle from Doug. Brian had a great race and can now stop saying that his friends girlfriends are faster than him...good work Brian! Becky had a huge smile on her face during the race and had a successful day in many, many ways! Also, thanks to all my sponsors...Wheat Ridge Cyclery, Yeti, Powerbar, Rudy Project, Pearlizumi and Xterra wetsuits.

After a long ride home complete with road closures, consumption of fast food and too many candy corn pumpkins I'm home and enjoying a rest week before a little more hard training before Worlds. Three weeks from today and I will be drinking my coffee on the lanai overlooking the ocean with my parents (Doug will probably still be sleeping).

No comments:

Post a Comment