Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Give me some oxygen and heat

We spent the weekend in Frisco so Doug could do 2 cyclocross races. The trip marked the first time since ski season that I went to the mountains and was not racing...crazy! I enjoyed a long ride on the Peaks Trail on Saturday and a long hilly run on Sunday. I was planning on just running along the path to Copper Mountain but then I saw a little trail and a sign talking about an old mine. So I ran up, up and up some more. I made it to the mine and was determined to get to the top but once it got so steep I had to walk I called it a day...sweet coffee was calling my name. Both my ride and run had me thinking about skiing since there was snow on the ground.





Doug makes it look so easy


I've entered the heat and oxygen period of my Hawaii prep. That weird girl running with a hat and long sleeves on a beautiful Fall day, that's me. The sweaty girl you see going back and forth between the sauna and steam room, that's me. I'm not sure how much this helps me get ready to race in Hawaii but I think there is something to it. I did the same thing last year and was not bothered too much by the heat. I'm also doing supplemental oxygen workouts on the bike and run at the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine. It's amazing how much harder you can make yourself go when you have so much sweet oxygenated air. Thanks to Paul and Becky for loaning me a slick tire and Powertap to use during these torture sessions! I've never used a Powertap and don't even use a heart rate monitor when I train.

My 'technology' is my Timex watch. Yep, the kind you buy at Target. This one is pretty advanced though seeing as it has 3 different alarms you can set. What the heck do you need 3 different alarms for? We'll have to see if I take to this technologically advanced training or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment