Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Summer Race Ramblings

There is a chill in the morning air now which only means one thing...Summer is almost over. I really think about updating this blog quite a bit but this full-time mothering, part-time working while attempting to race as a pro thing wears me down before I ever have time/energy to write anything. If I were to write about each race I’ve done this Summer you all would be bored out of your mind. So, since I call myself an Xterra athlete I will do a quick and dirty recap of my Xterra season so far, mostly in pictures with some funny tidbits thrown in so you can laugh at me.

Xterra Lory, 2nd place

Oops: put the sun shade up in the car before starting to pump, otherwise the person parked in front of you gets to see you do the job
Takeaway: Despite this being my 1st Xterra since having Natalie I did not forget the order of events. Having a baby messes with your body. Be diligent in doing post baby rehab exercises so you don’t hobble through the run with hip/hamstring pain.



Xterra Beaver Creek, 7th place among one of the most stacked fields I can recall at this race
Oops: Getting sick 2 days before one of your biggest races sucks! When your head feels like it is detached from your body it might not be a good idea to race. You will be forced to take a week of doing nothing after attempting to race in such a state.
Takeaway: I’m in much better shape than I thought.  Short quality workouts, even those cut shorter by a “cat napping” or “no napping” baby are paying off. I was in sight of 4th place coming off the bike but just couldn’t get my body to push through until the end.

Helping mama get her bike ready





Xterra Snow Mountain Ranch, 1st place
Oops: When you are in the mountains racing and plan to ride your bike back to your cabin do pack a rain jacket. Hail hurts and shivering the whole ride back to your rustic cabin with no running water for a warm shower sucks.
Takeaway: Someone told me that “getting to the start line as a mom is winning”, which is so true. The only thing better than getting to the start line is seeing your little girl out there with her daddy smiling and waving at you as you run by. This picture captured this joyful moment (poor picture but you can see one happy mama there).



Every little girl needs to know about proper safety gear when using a chainsaw

Our dirt loving girl


Xterra Buffalo Creek, 2nd
Oops: Only doing 2 rides on the Creek Path with the Chariot the week before a race will leave you flat and pedaling in squares. When setting up your bike, make sure your gloves are on the proper handlebar or you will try to jam your hand into it and not realize right away what is wrong. Also, make sure your shoes are laid out properly. It is hard to try to put your right foot into your left shoe. I blame “mommy brain” for missing these details since this has never happened to me before.
Takeaway: After minimal running since May due to an ongoing hamstring issue my running is coming back and the slight increase in mileage is paying off as I had one of the fastest run splits of the day.




Next up, Xterra Nationals at Snowbasin, Utah.  All our local Xterra races have been fast and furious this year! People should be fearful of the Colorado pro ladies including Maia Ignatz, Kim Baugh, Jamie Brede and Shonny V (even though we haven’t seen her at local races she still counts)…we are a strong, fun bunch coming to make a statement (or at least make you laugh while we suffer together).

No comments:

Post a Comment